Day Sixteen - Greek(s) ... can't get away from them !!! 😝
Today was a normal enough start, well the new normal! I was in the kitchen for 8 a.m. I didn't think I would have a lot to do today so I tried to include a couple of other things to fill out my time!
Today I was making ...
- Almond Tart / Tartlets with Strawberries
- Mint Sauce
- Rustic Potatoes
I also decided to add in a French omelette again and a brown soda bread.
To be honest I wasn't rushed off my feet so next time (Thursday) I will need to think about trying some additional things on top ...of my workload! 🤔
I was very happy with how they all turned out but still room for improvement!
BTW ... the almond tartlets are fantastic ... I will try do them on my cookbook blog when i finish up here! 👨🍳
I was more measured at lunch today ... smaller portions ... after a quick shower and change and then I remembered that my duty for today was ... feeding the hens !!! 😉 So off I went just before the demo and somehow managed to keep myself clean while meeting my new feather friends ... as opposed to the feathered creatures I want to eliminate!!! 😛
This afternoons demonstration was done by Rachel Allen ... there was a seafood delivery at the school so she added a demo on how to cook crab and lobster in addition to the rest of the plan!
Rachel has a very easy nature with the rest of the cooking team and it allows for a very relaxed atmosphere in the entire room!
Today she covered a load of dishes one of which brought me home at little ... I'll let you guess which one from my photos !!! 😝
Just to give you an example how the demo's work ... It's normally presented by Darina, Rory or Rachel with a support team behind them ... Today Richard (one of the teachers) played a more prominent role ... must be because he got a lovely new haircut!! 😜😇🤫
All the demo's have a combination of recipes and within them techniques ...
So today's techniques were ...
- How to cook and peel prawns (T)
- How to make a cold emulsion sauce – mayonnaise (T)
- Introduction to fresh yeast (T)
- How to degorge aubergine (T)
- How to make fruit salad (wet method) (T)
- How to make chutney (T)
The recipes demo'd today ...
- Ballycotton Prawns with Homemade Mayonnaise and Watercress or Wood Sorrel (recipe only)
- Dublin Bay Prawn Salad with Homemade Mayonnaise or Dill Mayonnaise
- Ballycotton Prawns on Brown Bread with Homemade Mayonnaise
- Leftovers : Prawn Bisque (T) (made from shells)
- Ballymaloe Brown Yeast Bread; Russian Village Bread; Spelt Bread
- Greek Moussaka (T)
- Shepherd’s Pie with Garlic and Parsley Butter (T)
- Baked Potatoes (T)
- Spring Fruit Salad with Sweet Geranium Leaves
- Summer Fruit Salad with Sweet Geranium Leaves served with Raspberry Sorbet
- Spicy Apple Chutney; Tomato and Apple Chutney
There is always a salad included, today's was ...
- Salad of the Day: VCD Chickpea and Aubergine Salad
Then there is a focus ... taste of the day ...
- Taste of the Day: Prawns; Aubergine
I won't put this detail in everyday but for today it just gives you an idea ...
I had nothing extra curricular planned for this evening so I strolled back to the house under the sunshine (Yes !!! we had some ... for an hour) and I decided to sit outside for a while ... I ended up lying on one of the benches and dozing off for a few minutes ... I think the pace of the last few weeks finally caught up with me! 😴
Tomorrow is a lecture day ... cheese and beef! And I believe a trip to Ballymaloe house to see how it runs! Looking forward to that!
In the evening we have our second wine tasting planned ... really looking forward to that !!! 👹